Monday, October 3, 2011

blog entry # 5

Blog Entry #5: What are the major elements of "sustainable" farming? How are ecological principles woven into this framework? Do you buy organic or "naturally" labeled foods? Why or why not? Do you feel connected or disconnected to the current food system? If there were space on campus, would you be interested in growing your own vegetables (or, if the thought of vegetables makes you wince, fruit instead)?

The major elements of sustainable farming include, but are not limited to: Conservation and preservation - recycling used materials, preserving natural resources, etc. Biodiversity - crops are rotated around the fields to enhance the soil and prevent disease spreading. Chemicals are used only when necessary, and only the ones that are approved for "sustainable" farms. Animal Welfare - Animals are treated better at sustainable farms, allowed to roam and graze naturally. Socially just- Workers are treated fairly in pay, benefits, safety, and housing. Ecological principles are woven in through every aspect of sustainable farming, through conservation and preservation, and animal and human welfare. I do not buy organic food, however I do buy greenwise chicken, when I want a full chicken to cook because they have smaller chickens, and I don't cook for very many people, and their chickens have the gizzards and everything already pulled out and cleaned up inside. So, it takes some nasty steps out of preparing a chicken. I do feel a bit out of the loop in the current food trends with everyone trying to buy organic and eat "healthy", I don't care what I eat as long as it tastes good. I wouldnt mind growing my own food, my family used to grow our own vegetables in Michigan and we made an amazing salsa from them. We also grew raspberries which were great to just go out and eat. We had neighbors who grew great watermelon. So, I really wouldnt mind growing my own food at school if there was room for it, I just would have to take the extra time out of my day to take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment